By Jim Wilkerson
The Lincoln Parish Police Jury held its monthly meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 14, at 7:00 PM in the Library Events Center.
While the bulk of the meeting covered various budgets that needed to be approved by the Police Jury, several key resolutions were passed that will have at least moderate effects on Lincoln Parish.
First, the Police Jury unanimously adopted a resolution allowing the Parish to participate in the National Opioid Settlement that Johnson & Johnson is paying out to states. Depending on the other Parishes’ involvement, Lincoln Parish should get around $80,000 per year for the next 18 years.
Second, some of the southbound lane of LA Highway 818 that is within the Parish boundaries will now be considered a “No Truck Route”. This has been requested by the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development because a number of trucks have gotten stuck on the railroad tracks crossing the road, creating dangerous situations for both the drivers and the trains. A similar resolution was discussed at the Ruston City Council meeting on Dec. 6, where council members expressed the same concerns.
Third, a QuikTrip gas station is being built in front of the Lincoln Parish Library, and the owner is wanting to purchase the property where Jiffy Lube used to be before the tornado destroyed it in 2019. However, before QuickTrip can purchase the property, various property restrictions have to be lifted. The Police Jury unanimously voted to release the restrictions that have been in place since 1998 to allow QuikTrip to buy the lot.
Next month, the Police Jury will hold its first 2022 meeting in the Jack Beard Community Room at the Lincoln Parish Library instead of the Library Events Center to see if that room better caters to the Jury’s needs. That meeting will take place on Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2022, at 7:00 PM.
Agenda items for the Dec. 14 meeting included:
Call to Order
Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance – Mr. Milton Melton
Approval of Agenda
Public Comment on Agenda Items
Minutes of Prior Meeting
- November 16, 2021
- Open Public Hearing
- 2022 Proposed Budgets – Humanitarian Enterprises of Lincoln Parish
- 2022 Proposed Budgets – Lincoln Parish Police Jury
- Close Public Hearing
Adoption of Budget Resolutions
- Humanitarian Enterprises of Lincoln Parish 2021 Amended Budget
- Humanitarian Enterprises of Lincoln Parish 2022 Proposed Budget
- Lincoln Parish Police Jury 2021 Amended Budget
- Lincoln Parish Police Jury 2022 Proposed Budget
- Lincoln Parish Library 2021 Amended Budget and 2022 Proposed Budget
- North Louisiana Exhibition Center 2021 Amended Budget and 2022 Proposed Budget
- Ruston/Lincoln Convention and Visitor’s Bureau Proposed Budget 2022
- North Louisiana Criminalistics Laboratory 2021 Amended Budget and 2022 Proposed Budget
- Appoint Members to the Tremont Waterworks District:
- Wayne McNabb (5-year Term)
- William Harper (4-year Term)
- John McClain, Sr (3-year Term)
- Brenda Dubose (2-year Term)
- Jack Walters (1-year Term)
- Set 2022 Meeting Dates and Times
- Resolution Authorizing President to Execute 2022 Cooperative Endeavor Agreement with Lincoln Parish Coroner
- Discuss and Take Action, If Necessary, Giving the Parish Administrator Authorization to Sign Any And All Documents Necessary To Participate In The National Opioid Settlement
- Accept Bids on Landfill Tractor Truck
- Accept Fuel Bids for 2022
- Adopt a Resolution Requesting A Portion of the Southbound Lane of LA Highway 818 Within The Boundaries of Lincoln Parish as a No Truck Route
- Final Approval of Capital Improvement Program (2022-2023-2024)
- Adopt a Resolution Authorizing the President to Sign All Documents Pertaining to Asphaltic Concrete Overlays for the Capital Improvement Plan 2022
- Adopt a Resolution Authorizing the President to Sign All Documents Pertaining to Bridge Replacements Along Mondy Road for the Capital Improvement Plan 2022
Budget Reports – Mr. Michael Sutton
- Travel – Police Jury Association of Louisiana Convention, March 9-11, 2022, Lake Charles, LA
- Department Reports
- Administrator’s Report
To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE