Arcadia students ill after consuming tainted candy

Several Arcadia High School students became ill Thursday morning after ingesting candy infused with a dangerous substance.

In a press release, Bienville Parish Sheriff John Balance said a staff member at the school phoned 911 at about 9:15 a.m. requesting an ambulance as it appeared several students had become ill.

Arcadia Police and Bienville Parish deputies and investigators responded to the school.

“It was determined that five juvenile students had ingested an unknown substance and had become somewhat lethargic and displayed poor coordination,” according to the press release. “Investigators responded to the Bienville Medical Center where it was determined that all five students had in fact ingested gummies (candy) which were believed to contain THC or some other form of controlled dangerous substance. 

“All five students were admitted for observation while blood samples were obtained for analysis. Further investigation revealed that no other students are believed to be involved in the incident. No further information will be released at this time.”


To report an issue or typo with this articleCLICK HERE