Courtesy of GSU Athletics
The Grambling State University women’s soccer team suffered a 3-0 defeat to Abilene Christian on Sunday afternoon at the GSU Soccer Complex.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Abilene Christian jumped on top of Grambling State 1-0 in the 41st minute on a free kick by Ellen Joss. The Wildcats carried that lead into halftime.
- ACU pushed its lead to 2-0 within the first minute of the second half on a goal from Caylen Wright.
- Abilene Christian stretched its lead to 3-0 with another goal in the 52nd minute.
- GSU was able to pressure the the Wildcats’ goalkeeper in the second half, putting multiple shots on net. In the 68th minute, it looked as if the Lady Tigers had avoided the shutout with a goal by Beatriz Kretteis, but an offsides call negated the score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Abilene Christian held an 14-8 advantage on shots
- Both teams put five shits on goal
- GSU goalkeeper Madison Covey-Taylor played all 90 minutes, making two saves
- Grambling State committed 10 fouls
- ACU registered eight fouls
- The Wildcats held a 7-1 advantage on corner kicks
Grambling State hits the road for a matchup versus Louisiana State of the Southeastern Athletic Conference (SEC) in Baton Rouge, La. on Friday. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. and the game will be streamed on SEC Network+.
To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE