Christon, Smith lead Tigers to victory

Courtesy of GSU Athletic Communications

The Grambling State University men’s basketball team used a big run midway through the first half as the Tigers wrapped up play at the 210 San Antonio Shootout on Monday afternoon with a 73-49 victory over Dartmouth at the Convocation Center.

The Tigers (4-3) surrendered the first six points of the game, but used a 21-4 run and didn’t look back as Grambling State took two games at the 210 San Antonio Shootout.

Cameron Christon and Jourdan Smith paced the Grambling State offense with 15 points apiece. Christon added seven defensive rebounds, two assists and two steals. Smith recorded three boards and one assist. Shawndarius Cowart tallied 12 points, two steals and one board, while Carte’are Gordon registered a double-double of 12 points and 11 rebounds, to go along with one assist and one steal.

Ryan Cornish was the lone Big Green in double figures, scoring 13 points, on 5-of-9 shooting, along with four rebounds, two assists and one blocked shot.

Dartmouth (2-4) raced out to a 6-0 lead after a Cam Krystkowiak free throw, but Grambling State responded with a furious 21-4 run over the next 10 minutes, capped by a Christon layup and Tra’Michael Moton 3-pointer as the Tigers led, 21-10 with an 8:40 remaining in the first half.

GSU stretched the lead to 31-14 after buckets by Smith and Cowart with just under four minutes to play in the half.

The Big Green closed the half strong, cutting the deficit to 34-20, at the break.

Grambling State got five straight points by Christon to open the second half as the Tigers built a 39-22 advantage with just 18 minutes to play.

Buckets by Christon and Gordon gave GSU a 45-25 lead with 12:39 remaining, but Dartmouth got baskets by Ryan Cornish and Izaiah Robinson as the Big Green cut the margin to 45-31 with 11:38 left.

The Tigers pushed the advantage to 49-34 after free throws by Quintin Murrell, along with layups by Cowart and Gordon, with 7:22 remaining.

Dartmouth never got any closer than 15 points during the final five minutes as the Tigers cruised to their second win in three games.