By Jim Wilkerson
At the Police Jury meeting on Dec. 14, Parish Financial Manager Michael Sutton presented a list of fourteen budget amendments for the year 2021. These line items were changed from what the Police Jury assumed it would spend to what the Jury actually spent in 2021. The Jury unanimously voted to approve all amendments, which are as follows:
- Court-ordered psych evaluations were initially budgeted at $1,200. However, the Jury spent $41,600, so the budget was amended to $45,000.
- The elections expense from the general fund had an original budget of $3,000. The actual money spent was $6,396, and the budget was reset to $6,500.
- The initial budget for professional services was $55,800, but actual money spent was $170,695. The budget was amended to $170,000. Engineering costs are primarily responsible for the increase in the budget.
- For the Union Lincoln Water Initiative, the original budget was $26,000. However, $0 were spent in 2021, so the budget was amended to $0.
- The budget for equipment maintenance was $75,000. The actual money spent was $81,823, so the budget increased to $85,000. The amendment reflects the extra $10,000 spent on elevator/AC repairs.
- $394,000 were originally budgeted for revenue from the severance tax. However, the Police Jury received $1,256,878 in severance tax revenue, so the budget was amended to $1,256,878 to reflect the actual amount received.
- The Courthouse Capital Fund had an initial budget of $0, but the overall surplus projected in 2021 for the Police Jury is $706,557. So, that money has been transferred out to the Courthouse Capital Fund budget, meaning the amended budget is now $706,557.
- The original budget for the Solid Waste fund for contract labor was $65,000. However, actual money spent was $223,330, and the amended budget is $225,000. This budget increased due to high contract employee turnover.
- The Solid Waste fund for the purchase of the Mega Site was originally budgeted at $212,500. However, the money is not being spent until next year, so the budget for 2021 is now $0. Next year the budget for this fund will be the original $212,500.
- The original budget for Solid Waste Disposal transfers in from sales tax revenue was $835,000. However, the actual amount spent was $709,000, and the budget was amended to $715,000. The Jury’s original sales tax estimate was too high, so the budget was amended accordingly.
- The Parish Park Fund for capital projects had an initial budget of $173,520. Actual money spent was $185,232, so the budget was amended to $185,000.
- The Parish Park Fund for acquisition of equipment was originally budgeted at $21,500. $26,504 was actually spent, and the budget has been amended to $27,000.
- The Hotel/Motel tax revenue for the Parish Park had an original budget of $80,000, but the actual amount projected is $50,000. The budget has therefore been amended to $50,000.
- The Courthouse Capital Fund for improvements and development was originally budgeted at $200,000. The amended budget is $300,000.
To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE