If the flute is your thing or you think it might be your thing, or even if you just want to become more musically educated and enjoy innovative sounds, this weekend on Louisiana Tech’s campus is custom-built for you.
Tech’s School of Music, the Louisiana Tech Concert Association, and Miyazawa Flutes is sponsoring “All Things Flute,” a masterclass and workshop, Jan. 14-15. The event is free and open to anyone.
The event features Miyazawa Performing Artist Dr. Terry Sánchez, Assistant Professor of Flute at Bowling Green State University. Louisiana Tech Concert Association’s second show of the year coincides with the event, and features Baroque flutist and recording artist Emi Ferguson and Ruckus, an early music ensemble. Both concerts are free and do not require tickets, but audience members should be aware that masks are required indoors on campus.
Register by emailing Tech Music Faculty Professor Shayla Blake, Sblake@latech.edu.
Blake, who teaches piano, flute, songwriting, choral arranging, and is a staff accompanist, organized the event and stressed all are welcome to attend.
“I’m hearing from middle school students all the way to adults post-college; it’s a multi-generational event,” she said. “Flutists of all experience levels will benefit. Bring your flute.”
Participants will have the opportunity to play in a flute choir that will perform on Saturday evening as part of a recital by Dr. Sánchez. The Carolyn Nussbaum Company from Dallas will be on campus Saturday to provide an instrument maintenance/repair seminar and will bring all sorts of flute instruments and accessories.
Ferguson and Ruckus will be in concert Friday night.
Check-in is in the foyer of Howard Auditorium at the beginning of each day. Events will be held in Howard and the Band building.
- 2 p.m. – Masterclass with Ferguson (Baroque rep)
- 3:30 p.m. – Group session No. 1 with Sánchez
- 4:30 p.m. – Flute choir session No. 1 with Blake
- 5:30 p.m. – Break
- 7 p.m. – Concert with Ruckus, featuring Ferguson, transverse flute
- 9 a.m. – Group session No. 2 with Sánchez (Masterclass/Lecture)
- 10:30 a.m. – Flute choir session No. 2 with Blake
- 11:30 a.m. – Break
- 1 p.m. – Session No. 3 with Sánchez
- 2:30 p.m. – Carolyn Nussbaum, Maintenance/Repair Session
- 3:30 p.m. – Flute choir session No. 3 with Blake
- 4:30 p.m. – Break
- 7 p.m. – Concert featuring Sánchez and the Flute Choir
To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE