By Kyle Roberts
Cooking runs in my DNA.
If you’ve met Mike (or Charlie, or Pops, or Mr. Roberts, whatevs), you know he has the same panache for cooking that I do. In fact, a few years ago, we agreed to stop getting gifts for birthdays and Christmas and just agreed to cook elaborate meals to celebrate.
We’ve had everything from prime rib to lobster to wings to pork belly– you name it, and we’ve likely cooked it.
He taught me how to sear and slow cook. I’ll be forever grateful.
So while we celebrated Father’s Day a few days late this year, we naturally still had a great meal. Pops took lead with the steaks while I prepared a side of smashed potatoes, which is our focus tonight.
These spicy potatoes went nicely with a medium rare prime cut.
Happy Father’s Day to everyone, and especially to Pops.
1 bag of small potatoes (Yukon or new potatoes)
1 tbsp crab boil
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive Oil for brushing
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add crab boil.
2. Once water is hot, add the potatoes to the pot.
3. After 30 minutes, remove the potatoes.
4. On a cutting board, gently press the potatoes until they flatten but not break. I used the flat side of a meat tenderizer.
5. Add potatoes to a greased cooking sheet and prepare your oven to 375 degrees.
6. Brush with olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Cook potatoes for 15 extra minutes to get a crispy skin and tender inside.